How to Get Rid of Mould Naturally

Last update: 3 days ago

Get rid of mould on wall

Mould is a nightmare for every homeowner. Not only unsightly, but mould can also cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems. Prolonged exposure to mould can be harmful, thus as a homeowner, you should make it a priority to get rid of mould as soon as possible. While we cannot control the weather conditions and seasonal changes, we can do something about the humidity in our homes.

Below you can find how to get rid of mould naturally and without chemicals.

What is mould

Indoor mould (or mildew) is a fungal growth that develops on wet materials. It feeds on dead particles, and while that’s an essential part of nature, no one wants it in their homes. At home, you have a lot of organic material that mould can feed off on – wallpaper, grime in the bathroom, and more. It colonizes through spores that float in the air and land on surfaces. These airborne particles can be harmful to humans and animals if exposed long enough.

What causes mould

When the “right” temperature, moisture and nutrients are available, the mould starts to develop. It likes damp, dark areas with plenty of moisture. That’s why it’s most often found in bathrooms, kitchens, basements, storage areas, and more.

Condensation

The most common cause of mould at home is condensation. When the warm humid air of the home meets a cold surface, like the wall around windows, for example, it condenses and creates the perfect environment for mould to grow. You can help prevent mould from growing in your window tracks by grabbing an old towel and drying the window panes.

Leakage

Another cause for mould is leaking pipes. They might be concealed inside a wall, and the mould is only a fraction of the problem on the other side of the plaster! In this scenario, enlist the help of a qualified plumber to get to the bottom of the issue.

Poor ventilation

Let the fresh air circulate through the house as often as you can because poor ventilation keeps the humidity and the mould spores inside. Here is what you can do to improve the air humidity at home:

  • Bathroom. Consider installing an exhaust fan in your bathroom to draw the warm, humid air out. When the bathroom is not in use, you can leave the door or window open to let fresh air circulate. That will help dry out the shower cubicle and any other damp areas.
  • Kitchen. Install a range hood over the cooktop and use it while cooking to prevent steam building up in the kitchen. If there is already a range hood, make sure it’s working properly and that the filters are clean.
  • Entire home. If there’s a room in your house that regularly retains moisture and there’s no way to minimise that, investing in a moisture absorber might be your best move. Consider installing a ducted ventilation system that circulates dry air throughout your home all year round.

How to clean mould

Cleaning mould with sponge
Photo by Andrey_Popov, Shutterstock

When cleaning mould you should equip yourself with long rubber gloves, and preferably with a mask that covers your mouth and nose. You can also wear protective eyewear. You don’t want the spores near to irritate your eyes or cause you breathing problems or migraine. While cleaning open all windows. If the spores are going anywhere, it should be outside.

For affected areas bigger than a square meter we recommend you to get a professional to clean the mould for you.

Get rid of mould with baking soda

  • Prepare your cleaning solution. Mix baking soda with white vinegar and water, proportions 2:1:1. Stir the mixture until it becomes a thick paste.
  • Apply the mixture on the affected surface and leave it like for a few minutes to dry.
  • Scrub away the paste and grime and wipe with a clean cloth and water.

Get rid of mould with vinegar

  • Get undiluted white vinegar and pour it in a spray bottle.
  • Spray the vinegar on the mould growth and leave for around an hour.
  • Wipe away using water and clean cloth.
  • Repeat if there is still mould residue.
  • Allow the area to dry. The vinegar smell should go away in a few hours.

Takeaways

  • Ventilate your place often.
  • Wipe condensation away.
  • Use an exhaust fan in the bathroom, range hood in the kitchen, and a dehumidifier anywhere else.
  • By taking measures to reduce the amount of internal moisture, you will greatly reduce the risk of mould growth, and help work toward a happier and healthier future for everyone inside your home.


About the author:

Louise Procter is a writer for Natural Home Solutions. Living by the beach, on the sunny South Coast of NSW she enjoys creating articles that provide information and inspiration to readers to help them in their everyday lives. You will often find Louise with a coffee in one hand and her laptop in the other.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
It's only fair to share...Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Email this to someone
email
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Sign Me Up for Fresh Updates I want to have fantastic stories delivered straight to my inbox for free.

Pin It on Pinterest

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x